Pink Alpaca

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

New purse

I finally finished this purse! I don't know why I was so unmotivated to finish it. I even took it to London so that I would have something to do on the plane, but I was too tired. In my bag it sat.

I started using the Sophie's Bag pattern, but wanted something more trapezoid-like, and I wanted something with a long strap. Clutch purses are cute, but they stink when you have to carry groceries, a niece, etc.

The yarn was so beautiful that it made me nervous to felt it. For those of you who aren't knitters, felting involves throwing a knitted item into the washing machine on the hot/cold, high agitation cycle. It shrinks the item significantly, and makes the stitches disappear to create felt. (The fiber has to be 100% animal fiber, usually wool, in order for felting to happen.) The item becomes dense and sturdy. So, if you've ever wondered why the label on your sweater says "Hand Wash Only," that's why. Of course, for fun, you can felt an old sweater and actually cut shapes out of it and they won't unravel. You can then sew those shapes together to make something, like a purse, or maybe even sew some shapes onto a shirt or bag.

Here are the before and after photos:



I love the colors. Usually I don't like variegated yarn. I like to control how something will turn out. But you have to see the bag in person to appreciate the boldness of these colors. I tried to take a close-up photo but it didn't do them justice. The dye is so fresh and vibrant. I like the bag so much that I might actually keep it for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home