Pink Alpaca

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Home again

I'm back from my travels, and it feels good to be home. I should be staying put for a while. Last August hubby and I traveled to London. In October we drove to Austin for a convention. Spring Break took us to NYC with some students, and in May we drove to Chicago and Michigan. We capped off this year of traveling by taking our high school students to Seattle.

Here's a shot from Seattle's Golden Gardens at sunset:



More photos to come later!

And yes, this post does have some knitting content...

I stumbled into a nice yarn shop somewhere by the pier in Seattle. It was called "So Much Yarn..." Sitting on the chair behind the counter was the most adorable French Bulldog. Her little tongue was just hanging out of her mouth while she napped. We were with a group so I couldn't loiter in the shop. So after rushing around to see their inventory, I bought some Plymouth Baby Alpaca in hopes of making a new hat for myself. I'd take a photo but my camera is full - need to dump out all my Seattle photos. So back to my travels...

By my rough estimate, we've traveled about 16,000 miles by land and air in less than one year. Maybe more, if you include side trips to places like Oxford, or Anacortes, WA. I know other people in this world travel even more than that, but for me it was a little strange to be preparing for trips all the time. It will be nice to stay in one place for a while, not worrying about luggage, packing, unpacking, laundry and such.

Though I'm sure in about 6 weeks I'll be ready to go again. It's hard for me to sit still for long.

Some people buy fancy cars, purses, shoes, jewelry, clothes and houses. But me? I'd rather travel. I buy a dress from Anthropologie every once in a while, and I like to go to nice restaurants. But once I save up any decent sum of money, the first thing I think of is, "Where can I go next?" We could use some new floors and sure, it would be nice to pay off my car. I'd love to have a cool new tv and audio system, or a new computer. But gosh... London is calling my name. Or maybe the Caribbean... I've never been there.

Fashion is fleeting. The new house or car I want so badly will eventually become the annoying, run-down thing I want to get rid of. Technology is obsolete before I get it out of the box. But my travels, the places I've seen, the people I meet, the experiences I have - those are forever. Maybe that's why I like to knit. It's something I spend time with, even travel with, and then I get to pass it on to someone who will hopefully enjoy it for years to come. I know the things I knit won't last forever, but hopefully the friendship and care behind them will last in people's memories.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I love traveling too.. there's something about going to new places that's just magical.

    Thanks for the sweet comments on my dishcloth post over on the Mason Dixon KAL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home