Pink Alpaca

Friday, May 26, 2006

Absorba, the Great Bathmat

I finally finished Absorba, the Great Bathmat from Mason-Dixon Knitting. I love this thing! It feels great on your feet - so squishy - and it's 100% cotton so it'll be way easy to care for. This one is a gift for someone so I'll need to make another for myself.
One of the big topics on the Mason-Dixon KAL (KAL is knit-along, for you non-knitters) has been the difference between Sugar'n Cream and Peaches & Creme cotton yarns. Basically, they're the same. But the pattern called for a double-worsted weight, and all my store carries is regular worsted. I was too impatient to order it. So, I had to make some modifications...

I used four strands of Sugar'n Cream worsted (2.5oz / 120yd / 109m) held together - two strands of Ecru, one of Light Ecru, and one of Cream. I actually bought an 800 yd cone of the Ecru and wound it into two balls. I used US 15 circulars (plastic).

Original pattern gauge: 9 sts + 17 rows = 4"; finished dimensions are 18" x 27".
My gauge: 9.5 sts + 17 rows = 4"; finished dimensions are 18.5" x 24.5".

If I do it with four strands again, I'll probably use US 13's. The plastic needles helped speed things along with the cotton, but they caused me to knit a little loosely. And I might make an extra round of strips to make a larger mat.

I used about 2.5 balls (about 300 yds) of each color to complete this variation of the pattern. The Ecru cone cost about $6 and the regular balls were $1.27 at my store. So I figure this project cost about $13 for me to make. Thirteen dollars! You can't beat that.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger bethc said…

    Thanks for all the deatils!! I'm going to try one this summer so will be bugging you!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Elysbeth said…

    After reading your post and taking a hard look at my current bathmat I forsee an Absorba in my future. Thank you for all the little details that will make my experience smoother.

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Debbie said…

    Thanks for all the details. So far, you're the only one I've found that has made this bathmat. Might have to drive way out to the dreaded Walmart today.

    Debbie
    www.gottaknit.typepad.com

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Shelly Hattan said…

    I love the colors you chose. Thanks for the detail!

    It's also nice to know how much yarn it would take with just the balls.

    I just ordered some yarn from Elmore Pigsah - I'm really looking forward to making a couple of these for myself. Your photo's were inspirational.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home